The Silver Light

The Silver Light
With Weekly Chapter Updates!

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Empress of Clouds - Chapter 24



                                                                     Chapter 24

                       

           

            Brythia dreamt.  She was in the snow-drenched forest—deer woods with birch, ash, and elm trees so thickly situated as to make moving through them difficult.  Although it was nighttime, the air was aglow with an astral luminance, indicating the presence of mystical energies.  The snow covered branches cast twisted and bizarre shadows in its eerie shimmer.

            She was looking for something.  She reasoned that she was probably searching for Tolian.  She wandered the woods for a while before she remembered that Tolian was in Faerie.  Even so, it did not stop her from searching, though it struck her as strange that she did so.  She treaded through the knee-deep snow, twisting herself between the close tree trunks.

            Wait, she thought.  There was something there, not too far away, moving towards her.  It was white and fairly large.  Recognition dawned.  That was what she was searching for, though she did not know why.  It was the White Hart.

            “Well met again, Princess Brythia,” it called out to her.

            She was startled only slightly this time. “Well met indeed,” replied the druidess.  “What can I do for you?”

            “For me?”  The White Hart asked.  “Why nothing, but how thoughtful.  I have come to you on a mission from my lady.  I believe that we both serve her.”

            “Well,” said Brythia, “since I don’t know who your lady is, I can’t well say.  Is she Magara, the High Druidess?”

            The beast chuckled—an unusual thing for a deer to do.  Ah, but so was talking in human language, she remembered.

            “No, no,” said the White Hart.  “My lady is no mortal.  She is the Queen of the Night Sky, the Empress of Clouds, the Mistress of the Hunt, the White Goddess.  She has dispatched me to bring you to her as quickly as possible.  Unfortunately, with the abduction of her earthly manifestation, and the suppression of her powers, my lady is now a prisoner in her own tower.  This is why you have been summoned.  She needs your help.  And she wants to help you.”

            “I’m confused,” stated the druidess.  “I thought Tolian was the Moon-Goddess.  Who’s this other lady?”

            The animal nodded.  “Yes, she told me that you would be confused.  These matters are quite complicated for mortals.  If you come with me, I will attempt to explain as we go.  It will take us some time to reach the Moon through the Dream-gate, probably several night’s dreams.”

            “That’s fine,” agreed Brythia.  “I can’t think of a better way to spend my dreaming hours.”

            “Excellent,” said the White Hart.  “My Lady will be well pleased.  Come, we should start at once, we have a long dream-journey ahead of us and you have many questions I am sure.  I will do my best, but for some you must wait until we arrive, for the Goddess to answer.”

            Without further ceremony, the white animal stepped right up to the golden-haired nature priestess and lowered its head.  “Climb on my back, Princess, I can carry you.”

            “You don’t mind?”

            “Quite the contrary, I am honored to carry you who are my lady’s earthly consort.”

            “But, you said...” began Brythia totally confused.

            “Please, we must hurry.”

            Brythia did as she was bid and climbed upon the hart’s back.  It was a sufficiently large enough animal to accommodate her completely.  As soon as she had done so the talking beast began to dart through the narrow trees with easy strides, yet in such a way that Brythia had no difficulty in keeping herself on the creature’s back.

            “Now,” she said, leaning forward toward the hart’s head.  “You must explain exactly what’s going on...”

            “I shall endeavor to, Princess, but unfortunately we have already used all of our time; you are beginning to stir already.  You will be awake in a few moments.  We will have to pick this up in your next dream.”

            “Already?” She asked out loud as she found herself awake in her bed in the inn.

 

Copyright 2004, 2015 Diana Hignutt

No comments:

Post a Comment